YAY OR NAY


What's up everyone? Did anyone even miss me at all? Yeah, I know it's been a while and truth be told I miss you all. I'm sorry I haven't posted anything in a very long while, I've just been completely swamped with work. I hope you'll enjoy reading this piece from me as much as I enjoyed writing it.
This write up is just from my own point of view and you're allowed to either agree or disagree. That's why I called it; Yay or Nay.
I just want to discuss the issue of greeting generally and the old age syndrome among people. Before I proceed, I'd like to ask this question: Who should always do the greeting? The boss or the employee? The younger person or the older person?
While I was living in Lagos and growing up in Ondo respectively, this question never came up in my mind. This is because anybody can be the first to greet anybody. It doesn't matter if you're the younger person or if you're the older person. It doesn't matter if you're the boss or the employee.
But then, I noticed that the case in Ibadan is different, while I served here in 2012 and now that I'm back here with regards to my job. I noticed Ibadan people have the old age syndrome; 'the I'm older than you' mentality. At first I thought it was just me, but then, two other friends shared their experiences with me at their different offices and I just had to believe most Ibadan people are like that. Now, this might be happening elsewhere and I don't want to be biased by saying it only applies to people in Ibadan but you will agree with me that from what I've seen and my friends' testimony, it might just be a fact. I never experienced it while I was working in Lagos.Back then in my office, everyone called each other by name. It didn't matter if you were married or single, old or young. The only people we addressed as Mr or Mrs and addressed with Sirs or Ma(s) were our managers who were way older than us. Everybody related freely with one another and anybody can choose to be the first to greet anyone at any particular time of the day. Nobody cared about anyone's age. My bosses might see you and decide to greet you even before you've had a chance to greet them. I have worked in three different places in Lagos before I moved to Ibadan and the story has never changed in any of the places. I never had a boss who waited for me to greet them first. I would like to think it's a personal thing but then I've noticed more people(bosses) in Ibadan never wanting to be the first to greet you. Being the first person to greet as a boss doesn't devalue you or change your position as the boss.
You'll see some bosses as much as ten times in a day and greet them all ten times but they would never deem it fit to greet you just once.
That being said, there are these other set of bosses who feel they're too busy or haughty to give a reply to your greetings. All these things are simple courtesies. It is why Nigeria has refused to grow as a nation because once a whole lot of us are in a position higher than others, we feel we're better than them and can never need their help or assistance. That's why our leaders behave anyhow, because they feel; what can the masses do to me? A nice reply to a greeting is not too much and it doesn't take anything away from us. Those ones who feel they can't give a nice reply to your greetings because they're your bosses simply piss me off. They always reply through their noses like your life depends on them or they're Bruce Almighty. Lol!
This takes me back to the title of this piece; 'Yay or Nay?'
The employee/younger person should always be the first to greet the boss/older person
Greetings shouldn't be restricted to anyone in particular
Take your pick.
Wishing you all a wonderful new month. It will usher in numerous blessings and plenty money to celebrate Christmas in Jesus' name. Enjoy!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Books for You This Lockdown Period

'Tis the Season of Generosity: Heartwarming Christmas Gift Ideas for Every Family Member

Sheila's Musings