FRIENDSHIP


FRIENDSHIP

Friendship is the basis of every human relationship. To truly know anyone, we need to first be their friend. And this was what led to the beginning of a lasting friendship with this young man Temitayo. The fact that I wanted to get to know him.
I had gone to a bar that evening after work on a Friday just to unwind. I do not drink so I settled for a cup of chapman and ordered fried shrimps to munch on as I sipped my drink. I glanced across the room and saw this young man sitting alone at the corner, quietly sipping his “33” export lager beer from a glass. The bottle stood admiringly on the table and the beer glistened in the glass and occasionally, the disco light in the bar bounced off his glass of beer. I looked on in admiration as he laughed and smiled at his phone. I wondered who it was he was chatting with and what it was they were discussing that amused him so much.
The waiter came with my bill, but I was not ready to leave so I ordered a bottle of “33” export lager beer even though I do not drink and decided to try it for the first time. I sat down there thinking of how best to try this drink and wondering if I would get intoxicated by just one bottle. I look up again and he was staring at me. I was surprised and amused and shy all at the same time. Then he smiled at me, I blinked. I was not sure if he was smiling at me, so I looked around and there was no one else. Everyone carried on with their personal activities. So, I had no choice but to smile back at him. And then the unexpected happened—he waved me over. I got up from my seat, not sure if my legs were steady and wobbled towards him in my high heels. He was smiling all the time till I got to him.
I sat down and placed my glass of beer on the table. “Hi,” I managed to say in a tiny voice I was not sure was mine. “Hey,” he replied, “nice to meet you.”
“It’s nice to meet you too.”
“I am Temitayo Adeniran. I’m an I.T personnel and I work at a Telecommunications company on the island. You?”
 “My name is Seyi. I work as a customer service officer at a branch of one of Nigeria’s leading banks.”
“That’s great,” he said.
“Thanks.”
I did not know what else to say so I kept glancing at my hands and focused my attention on a painting hanging on the wall.
“What beer are you drinking?”
I started. I must have been lost in thoughts. He repeated the question and I replied, “it’s “33” export lager beer.”
“Yeah, it’s a very nice beer. It’s unarguably my best brand at the moment.”
“Hmmm, that’s quite impressive I must say. Didn’t know people had a brand of beer they swear allegiance to,” I was messing with his head and I hoped that he would catch the joke. He did.
“Come on now, everyone has a drink they love. Don’t you have one?”
“Of course, I do. Was just pulling your legs.”
“I love your sense of humour.”
“Thank you.”
I smiled. I loved the way the conversation was going. It seemed like we had known each other for a long time. I was surprised. Me, a lone wolf, an introvert…who could have thought I would be here right now in this bar, sipping “33” export lager beer for the first time and having a conversation with a stranger? It was so not me. I mused. It is not like you are doing anything bad you know? You are just having a harmless conversation. Yeah, of course. I smiled again at the conviction I gave myself.
            He had caught me smiling and asked me why I was smiling.
            “It’s nothing. Don’t worry about it.”
            “Okay.”
            “Yeah.”
            “I think I like you.”
            “You do?”
            “Yeah, and I have a feeling that this is just a beginning of a long-lasting friendship between us.”
            “Guess we feel the same way,” I replied.

#

I glanced at my wristwatch. The time was twelve midnight. Wow! I did not think I was going to be out this late. I started to collect my stuff; purse, phone, handbag in readiness to leave. The recap of a football match was going on and a lot of people had shifted their attention to the match including Temitayo. He looked at me and saw that I was getting ready to leave.
            “You’re not planning to leave me here all by myself, are you?”
            “Actually, I hadn’t planned on staying out this late. I’m sorry but I need to get going. It was nice chatting with you.”
            “Funny you. There’s always a first time for everything and today is going to be your first time of staying out later than usual.”
            “I don’t think so.”
            “Really! Is there someone who is going to punish you for coming home late?”
            “Of course not! I live alone.”
            “Then, your royal highness, queen Oluwaseyi, may I request that you stay with me till the match ends?”
            “Since you have chosen to present your request in this manner, I guess I can’t say no.”
He smiled, and we continued watching the match even though I am not much of a football fan. He had so much energy. He would jump up and clap or raise his fist in the air whenever something spectacular happened. I just watched on in silence. The display was amusing. People commented and cheered and clapped. I wondered what it would feel like to watch a football match in a viewing centre. Eventually, the match came to an end.
            “That was a fabulous game!” He exclaimed smiling at me.
            “I concur.”
            “We need to celebrate. But first, let’s exchange numbers to seal the fate of this budding friendship.” We did.
He asked if I would love to celebrate the beginning of a wonderful friendship with him. Of course!
            “Waiter! Two bottles of “33” export lager beer here please,” he ordered.
We raised our glasses and chanted together at once amidst laughter as our glasses clinked, “to the beginning of a wonderful friendship!”

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Books for You This Lockdown Period

Sheila's Musings

'Tis the Season of Generosity: Heartwarming Christmas Gift Ideas for Every Family Member