Shattered Beyond Repair (Episode 5)

Her life became shattered when she found out that she was pregnant for Barr. Iwuonye, her Property Law lecturer. The doctor had told her that her womb would be damaged if she aborted the baby and she had decided to keep the pregnancy. She told the Barrister about it and he was furious. Few days later, he invited her to his office and told her that he would be very happy to father a baby by her. He offered her a glass of orange juice which she drank. Unknown to her, he had put some abortion pills in the juice and few minutes after she got to the hostel, she started bleeding. Luckily for her, a roommate’s boyfriend was around and she was rushed to the health centre in his car. The doctors had to remove her womb because it had been severely damaged by the drug.
When she recovered and the doctor gave her the bad news, she didn’t cry. She just smiled and said “thank you, doc.” She opened the door and left the ward. Passing through the O.P.D, she smiled and walked out of the health centre.
******
“How far Aisha? How you dey nah?” Tomi asked her friend on the phone.
“Babe, I dey o. Anything for your girl?”
“Nothing jere. Iwuonye been drug me o, belle don pull comot and e spoil my womb. As I dey like this, I need opio. Na why I call you be dat.”
Opio was the slang word Tomi and her friends used for a sedative that kills if overdosed.
Opio? Say wetin happen nah? Womb comot no mean say life don end o, shuo!”
“Idiot! No be me wan use am jor. I be wan help person get am, you get?”
“I dey always get nah. I go deliver am to you this evening, you go dey hostel?”
“I go dey.”
“Na 1k for half pack o”
“Yeye, I hear. Just bring am come.”
“Okay. Later nah.”
“Later.”
She ended the call. She knew what she wanted to do and all plans were clearly mapped out in her head. She had just defended her project and was planning to go to Dublin with Alhaji, the Honourable Commissioner for Works and Urban Development. Plans has not changed, just one important issue to deal with had just been added.
She dialled a number. “Barrister, where are you?”
“I am in the office, would be going home late today. I’m so sorry for...”
“Oh! Please, I’m over that,” she said, cutting him short.
“Just wondering if you’d like to have a quickie. There’s no more fear of pregnancy, you know?”
“Ah! That would be awesome. Something to relieve me of the day’s stress. Tomi, you’re so sweet. I can’t wait.”
“See you later then?”
“See you later.”
She ended the call and smiled mischievously.
“Where this Aisha babe nah?” she said to herself.
The door to the room opened and Aisha came in. She threw the pack to Tomi who caught it in mid air.
“I no fit wait abeg. Banky dey wait me for down.”
“Okay nah. Greet am for me, make you buy suya come o.”
“I hear,” Aisha said and left.
Quickly, Tomi changed her clothes and applied her make-up. She dabbed on her erotic perfume, the one that always worked the magic on Barr. Iwuonye. She picked up her handbag and left the room.
******
Barr. Iwuonye had so many books scattered on his desk when she got there. She went up to him and gave him a peck. The barrister shifted all the books to one side of the table and got up to lock the door. He then brought out a bottle of champagne from the fridge and poured it into two glasses. Just as he took a sip of the drink, Tomi dragged him forward by the collar and squeezed his crotch, smacking her lips at the same time. The barrister was going crazy, his body was on fire as Tomi sat on the desk shifting her micro-mini skirt and drawing him close.
“Jeez! How could I have forgotten so soon?” Tomi soliloquised feigning anger at herself.
“What’s that?” The barrister asked.
“I met Barr. Omola on my way here and he said I should tell you to see him immediately. I completely forgot. I guess he should be on his way here now, since it’s urgent and he hasn’t seen you.”
“That’s true. I have to stop him. Give me a minute, I’ll be right back.”
As soon as the door closed behind the barrister, Tomi brought out the opio from her handbag and emptied all its contents into the barrister’s glass of champagne. She put the container back into the bag and waited. He would soon be back. She knew he wouldn’t find Barr. Omola because she had seen him leaving when she came in, though he didn’t see her. No one saw her when she came in around 7:30pm.
He soon came back to the office.
“I didn’t see him and his office was locked,” he said.
“Maybe he has gone home.”
“Yes, maybe. Babe, let’s get down to business,” he said as he gulped the remaining contents of his glass. Tomi winked at him, she knew the poison won’t work till it was thirty minutes, she smiled.
He pushed the skirt up to her waist and with his finger, shifted the g-string to one side. She was wet. “Damn!” he thought. He quickly unbuckled his belt and then... they got down to business. She moaned, he was breathing heavily, then they both came. He pulled up his trousers, she pulled down her skirt and straightened it. She rinsed both glasses and returned them to the tray on top of the fridge. She put the champagne bottle back in the fridge. He put a cash of fifty thousand naira on the desk, she took it and put it in her handbag. He smiled, she smiled. She kissed him passionately and waved him goodbye. Unknown to him, he was saying goodbye to the world. She smiled and walked out of the faculty, she was a graduate and she would be travelling out of the country tomorrow. Life was good. No one saw her when she left the faculty.
*******
The following day, as early as 6am, she left the school with two boxes containing her clothes in her car. She had left every other thing she had including her camp gas for her roommates to share among themselves.
Alhaji was already at the airport. Their flight was scheduled for 10am and it was 7:30am already. She was lucky she had not encountered traffic on her way home. She stayed in Ikeja, a three-bedroom bungalow that Honourable Muazu, the minister of defence bought for her before they parted ways. She dropped one of the boxes in the room and took the smaller one with her as she locked the door. “Ah! That opio container is still in my bag o,” she thought to herself as she went back inside. She brought it out of the bag and wrapped it in an old newspaper, then she washed her hands thoroughly and left. She got a cab to take her to the airport. As soon as she settled in the cab, her phone rang and she picked it. It was Aisha.
“Hello,” she said
“Babes, but you wicked sha o,” Aisha said
“Haba mana, wetin I do?”
“No be the opio I been sell for you yesterday you take kill dat lecturer?”
“Which lecturer?”
“Abeg, nor dey take me dey play. You no know the lecturer wey I dey talk?”
“How I wan take know?”
“You no know abi? Barrister Iwuonye don die!”
“Eeeeeeewooooo!” Tomi screamed to the shock of the driver.
“Madam, take it easy o,” he said.
“Wait! Nor be you kill am?”
“Me! Why I go wan kill am nah? We nor dey even dey yarn since dat gobe wey happen. Where I wan come see am say I wan poison am? We nor dey talk.”
“Ehen. Me be think say na you o.”
“Nor be me biko, you nor dey trust your friend again? I fit do dat kain thing? Me wey no fit kpai chicken.”
“I know nah, I just dey ask.”
“But, I feel for am sha”
“Me too o, but sha na him family palaver be dat. Me just wan sure say no be you. Na him make I call you. We go dey yarn later nah, I wan go pack. Me sef dey go house today.”
“Okay nah. Later,” Tomi replied as she ended the call.
She got to the airport at exactly 9:30am and Alhaji was already worried. He thought she wouldn’t make it but he was very happy when he saw her. She sat down beside him after they’ve hugged and plugged in her earpiece to her phone, she wanted to listen to the news.
“...a lecturer of the Faculty of Law in Unilag was found dead in his office this morning by a cleaner. The lecturer, Barr. Iwuonye was...” she switched the channel to 99.9(The Beat FM), it was the same news, so she removed the earpiece.
Their flight was announced and she walked towards the plane with Alhaji. As she climbed the stairs leading to the cabin, she saw a woman with two kids in front of her, a lone tear ran down her left cheek as she remembered that she would never be able to have her own kids. She wiped it with her handkerchief as she said to herself, “I have everything I want, who needs children anyway?”
“What did you say?” Alhaji asked
“Nothing.”
The end!!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Books for You This Lockdown Period

Sheila's Musings

'Tis the Season of Generosity: Heartwarming Christmas Gift Ideas for Every Family Member